Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Good morning, friends! It's football Sunday, and you wives of Fantasy Players know what I'm talking about.

I'm resting and recovering - after being significantly fussed at by my doctor. What did I expect? I'm the mother of two kids under the age of 5. Of course I'm doing too much. Just sitting here, resting, listening to the herd of wild buffalo running around upstairs while daddy is changing bed sheets - I'm cringing. But I'm not running up to take over. Or even crawling up. I'm resting. With half-crescents in my palms from squeezing my hands too tight. But he's doing it. And he's wonderful. God bless him. REALLY. He needs all the help he can get!

At any rate - the big news is the contest entry. My story, "By Another Name" won one of three contracts for The Wild Rose Press Easter Lily Contest. It will be released in April - I need to get out the contract, the manuscript information page, and everything this week. I'm hoping Kimberlee Mendoza will do another lovely cover for me. :) Shameless plug, Kim, if you're listening!

That shot me to the moon last week. I'm waiting on two other entries - but am back to writing new and interesting stories. I have a project with a dear friend I'm fleshing out, as well as rewrites for Castles by the Sea and the final Final final? edits for All or Nothing. Elizabeth is giving me a run for my historical money. God bless editors - and the writers who do their bidding. ha ha. She's a fantastic editor and I'm in boot camp every time she shoots me an email with a question, request, or added bit of historical tidbits to make the novel soar. So, this author is beaten. The few things I was clinging to, I've let go, following her superior advice, letting go of my stubbornness and following her lead. Authors, be thankful for editors as diligent as mine. :)

At any rate, I'm looking forward to sending her Castles, so that she can see how much she's taught me. Total rewrites are a chore, but when you put the tools you've learned into play, hopefully the revisions won't be nearly as painful. If I can get A or N out by a year from my contract date, I'll be lucky.

SO- thanks everyone for your well wishes. I'm going back to watch some old Ginger Rogers flicks for my "research" - while the kids "help" their dad. Better get in what I can before the Chargers game starts! Until next time,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley