Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Anniversary...

Today is Perry and my 8th wedding anniversary. Lace and Linen, they say. Ooh la la. Well, it would have been - in life before toddlers! ha. My question to you is - what is the most romantic memory you have of your spouse? Anyone can be sexy... but romance? That is an art form.

My most romantic memory of my sweet husband is this... and it may seem silly to some, but those of you who know him know that Perry - world's greatest sports fan - is also the world's biggest softie. Here goes:

It was 1999. Summer. One of those long, lingering Hermosa beach days - where I beat both the marine layer and the sunset home from a marathon day at Adwire. I had the convertible top down on my red Mitsubishi Eclipse as I cruised down Sepulveda Blvd; in 99 I was probably blasting Train on the stereo, singing along about meeting Virginia at the top of my lungs...


That was back when I shared a beach house with two room-mates, our balcony had a sliver view of the Pacific on Manhattan and 2nd. Right across the street from Le Petite Bistro and Mickey's Deli. This was where the boys played volleyball and girls like me loved the eye-candy. Back when I was going on dates, enjoying the company, the free meals, wine, and deciding for myself if I would or would not even give in to a goodnight kiss. What I loved about Hermosa, was that with so much to drink in, I knew that when a guy REALLY turned my head, I'd be in love for sure.

Perry was different from the get-go. He made me laugh. He made me think. He knew how to have fun and not worry about strings. He knew we were just getting to know each other, and that I was not serious about anything with anyone. Including him. But, one day, when I had a date with someone I don't even remember his name and was hurrying home to get ready... there, on my doorstep, was a little tiny Star Wars - Phantom Menace dixie cup, full of Hershey's kisses. He'd left a note, that he'd dropped by knowing I wouldn't be home - on his way to a Dodgers/Padres game. He just wanted me to know he was thinking of me.

Whoever that guy I went on the date with (yes, I still went...) was toast. Sure, I devoured some Rockin' Sushi on Hermosa. But, I floated home on a dream of Perry - His smile, his deep, tanned skin, his sweet, thoughtful nature. Was it possible this sexy, romantic guy was really into me? And why, darn it, did he live 90 miles south, in San Diego?

My life in LA LA land was drawing to a close. I knew it. Wendy, my best friend and boss, knew it. I had every intention of being Tucson bound. That summer Perry stepped in and changed all of my plans. He changed my life. He changed my future. And, take it from a gal who's taken a LOT of wrong turns... He is the true love of my adult life - my soul mate - my partner in parenthood - and my very best friend.

My hope is that Rachel and Ellie will give themselves a chance to find true love, and not sell themselves short - and to find their soul mates - after they've gone to college and have fantastic careers, of course. ;-)

~Ashley


2 comments:

  1. Now, I have Ashley Ludwig saved in my favorites! On our sixth wedding anniversary, I won't tell you the year, but it was LONG, LONG AGO, we had a son in diapers and a dughter not quite four, poor as church mice, I was a stay-at-home mommy, as was everyone else I knew, and for entertainment we watched TV on Saturday night and had hamburgers. So, my dh took our daughter shopping on the day of our anniversary. When they returned home, she said to me. "Mommy, we went shopping, but WE DIDN'T LOOK AT WATCHES!" I began to cry right there, because I knew he had to save a long time to buy a watch for me. See? I'm tearing up right now. Our daughter HATES for me to tell that story. Good job, Ashley. Celia Yeary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwe... Celia! that's such a sweet story... and just like a four-year-old to go out of her way NOT tell you what they bought. :)

    God bless, and good writing to you!

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley