Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Where were you when the earthquake hit?

I was sitting at my desk when the world went BOOM.

In fact, I just had opened an e-mail from my editor with my formal, final blurb attached. I take that as a powerful sign from above.

There are some things about earthquakes that you just don't think about. For example, you don't expect an earthquake to have volume, but they do. There's a jolt, combined with a sonic-thunder. It kind of reminds me of when the A-10s used to hit the city limits of Tucson and bump it up to break the sound barrier - right over our house! the windows would rattle in the frames. My mom would invariably be in the kitchen, looking out the window and muttering something about that damned air force under her breath. As she was allowed to do, being the wife of a former Lt. Colonel.

I'd look for the airplane, but my dad would squeeze my shoulder with his strong hand and say, "Honey, if you can hear them, they've already gone."

As for earthquakes, by the time you first feel them, get up, get under a doorway, or duck and cover, they're pretty much over. Unless you're on the 17th floor of a building on rollers. Then the fun just keeps going and going and going... (ask Wendy)

As for me, I'm still not used to them. This Arizona girl doubts if she ever will be. Oh, yeah. I say they're exciting. But, inside, my mind screams "GET THE HECK OUT OF THE HOUSE!" Millie (our dog) was outside, because she knew it was coming. Come to think of it, that must be why she's been barking at every opportunity - MOST unlike her. In fact, she's been barking about it for days...

Dogs are awesome. Earthquakes, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley