Monday, August 25, 2008

Feeding a Finicky Family

Okay - in 4 1/2 years, I still don't have this right. Meal time is stress time at our house. At least for me. Maybe it's because I work from home, so I'm here. Though if I were in an office, I wouldn't be thinking that there's nothing started for dinner at 3pm - but, since I'm right upstairs, I'm already consumed by the notion that 6 o'clock is approaching and nothing is defrosted.

I have to ask. How do you all decide what to do for dinner? Do you have the same 5 or so meals you cycle through like my mom used to? Or do you experiment and try new recipes? Does everyone eat the same thing at the same time? or do you try and cook for the kids and have "grown up food" for you all?

I have an issue with a husband whose mother raised him on meat and potatoes. When I serve him chicken piccata he blanches! give him a salad of any kind, and he looks at me like I've asked him to eat one of the bushes in the backyard. The man was never more excited than when I made chicken strips and fries for the girls. WHO KNEW?!

I've since stopped trying to impress him with my cullinary skills, and am turning my attentions to my finicky 4 year old. I've convinced her after the weekend that she must eat protein or she might shrink to the size of Thumbelina. SO, any suggestions for a kid that would rather eat corndogs than anything at all?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    My youngest daugter refuses to eat meat and if she does put it in her mouth chews on it for ten minutes and spits it out. To get her to eat protein, I feed her a lot of cheese, yogurt, milk, beans, tofu, protein noodles and there are lots of veggies that also have protein in them. She's all muscle too, quite a healthy girl, so something must be working right :)

    My hubby will eat everything I make, but he usually adds ranch, lol.

    My other daughter hates everything I make unless its tacos, ham and cheese sandwiches, etc... so I make her eat at least 1/2 of her dinner, and I try not to put things like onions, tomatoes, or peas on her plate...

    The joys of cooking!

    I also replied to you on the mamawriters group.

    Good luck with dinner tonight!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your note! Rachel ate at dinner last night. To coin a Rachel-ism, "my head almost popped right off!"

    Thanks for reading!

    ~Ash

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley