Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Who Needs Sleep?

I vaguely remember what it was like to sleep through the night. Or, I should say, I remember waking up feeling refreshed, and less like I was punched in the face. :)

I think the difference between adoptive mommies and mommies that went through the biological process is that preperation the Lord gives you with not sleeping before the munchkins arrive. Personally - I slept like a log through R's entire delivery. Didn't even know she arrived until 10 hours later. *sigh* I wanted so badly to be there. Consequently, I didnt' put rachel down or sleep without her for probably 9 months, when she became determined to walk and no longer required a sherpa. HA.

With E, my DH and I drove back and forth to Anaheim 3 times the night of her labor, returned home to sleep once things were settled, then awaited the call - which of course came at 4:30 am that E was rapidly on her way. I was able to help in the delivery room - which was a blessing I'll never forget. ANOTHER STORY. I'm going to cry - and that's not the reason for this post.

I've also heard about adoptive parents with older kids - who have night terrors or trouble sleeping at all. I can't imagine what that must be like. To know your baby had such a hard time while you were waiting so desperately to bring them home...

Today, I was mulling over how parents cope with sleep. Do you have a "family bed?" or do you cherish your pillow time and relegate the little ones to their own rooms? R didn't sleep when she was a baby. That kid would wake up and want to play. She didn't sleep until I had E around, and then I guess she gave up on waiting for me. Now, she sleeps like an angel - and only rarely appears at my bedside in the night.

E on the other hand is having issues again. She hasn't wanted to go to sleep without one or both of us in her room. She's been scared of shadows. She's been needing water. She's been coming up with any excuse possible to delay the inevitable. SO, Perry had the brilliant notion this week to tell her -- you dont' have to try to sleep. Just lay back, close your eyes, and think of your favorite things. Sleep will find you. And, IT WORKED. I couldn't believe it. She stopped wandering the halls. She stopped screaming for me. She actually has slept through the night for three nights in a row.

Is there light at the end of the proverbial tunnel? Of course, we're going out of town for Labor Day Weekend - so all this hard work will probably be tossed out of the window. *sigh* BUT, I'm hopeful. I've slept through the night, and it felt GREAT!

If anyone has any sleep tricks they have to add, please do so!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Ashley! Yes, sleep is definitely a problem in my home. LOL. I don't know how to solve it yet, but if I find out, I will let you know!! :))

    Hugs,

    Renee
    www.reneeknowles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think time is what helps. And we just have to wait out the storm. It helps you have a fantastic sense of humor. Just remember to do something nice with your husband once in awhile... so you remember why you're in this together!

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley