Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Point of View

I've been reworking All or Nothing - per my editor's comments - to look for Point of View violations. Point of View, interestingly enough, is also the focus of my writer's group this month. And, it just so happens that I've learned a few things in the process of fixing these Point of View errors.
  1. You generate suspense when your character/reader doesn't have all of the information.
  2. The need to go back and reread something for clarity is all but removed when the POV is right.
  3. Deciding who has the most to lose in a scene - and therefore should be the POV - is a challenge. A BIG one.

I've got 30 pages or so to finish and then I can call it a book. Read it one more time and send it on its merry way to Elizabeth. Who, incidentally, has the same name as my sweet Ellie. A God thing? Maybe. I'm just terribly grateful for such a professional, wonderful editor. She's really helping me become a better writer and I am learning to love the process.

Does anyone else feel that when you are forced to edit something, nothing is so juicy as all of those ideas that are floating in the aether? I have to force myself to edit when all I want to do is idea generate. To plot and plan. I have three books waiting to get started - new ideas, not to mention the three ideas on the back burner to be rewritten from scratch. *SIGH*

30 pages. Not insurmountable. Just need to knuckle down and get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, and stopping by!

~Ashley